Why We Do What We Do: A Message from Mike Dunlap, Chairman of the Board
Personally I find that if I strive every day to fulfill a larger purpose—whether it is helping my kids, assisting associates and customers to reach their goals, or working toward serving a higher purpose—I find the most satisfaction. Our overall mission, to make educational dreams possible, falls into this category for me.
By helping people accomplish their educational goals instead of focusing on ourselves, we collectively have a huge impact on the quality of their lives, making the world a place where fulfilling dreams is possible. As we help families set up payment plans to better afford an education, support families' efforts to successfully plan for college, explain options to make it easier to pay back student loans, and simply answer questions, every interaction we have with customers impacts their educational experience, and I am proud to be a part of it.
I want to publicly thank all our associates for their hard work and dedication to our customers. It is making the world a much better place.
Who We Are and What We Do
With a #1 core value of focusing on the customer, we provide innovative educational services in loan servicing, payment processing, education planning, and asset management. These products and services help students and families plan, prepare, and pay for their education while making the administrative and financial processes more efficient for schools and financial organizations.
Headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska, with other offices around the United States and Canada, we employ more than 2,250 associates who serve customers throughout the education life cycle.
Specifically, we operate as four distinct business segments, with additional affiliated companies:
- Provides education planning and enrollment-related services that give parents, students, and schools access to online educational resources and higher education planning tools. For example, students can search for colleges and graduate schools, learn about admissions, find scholarships, prepare for tests, and more. In addition, NES helps colleges and universities recruit prospective students with interactive marketing strategies and software, enabling them to reach their enrollment goals.
- Includes the brands Sparkroom, Peterson's Interactive, Peterson's Publishing, EssayEdge, and Government Services
- Nelnet Career Services: Nelnet Career Services guides you on your path to career success with professional resume writing and job interview coaching services, tools, and resources.
- Total Well-Being: Total Well-Being is the only provider that offers a holistic approach to wellness—providing services that motivate your employees to achieve their physical, financial, personal, and professional wellness goals.
- Health Education Solutions: Health Education Solutions, an expert online certification course provider in the health education field, offers advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) and pediatric advanced life support (PALS) training and certification according to the latest American Heart Association guidelines.
- 5280 Dynamic Solutions: 5280 Dynamic Solutions provides business automation solutions built on the SharePoint platform.
Who We Serve
Each of our business segments serves different customers, from students and parents to K-12 schools or colleges, to lenders and government.
We currently assist more than 5 million borrowers with their student loans, administer tuition payment plans for approximately 5,500 K-12 schools and colleges and universities, and process 6 million student inquiries about colleges annually.
But, no matter which kind of customer you are, you can know one thing is for sure—you are our #1 priority.
Mission and Core Values
Our Mission: Why We Exist
Making educational dreams possible by helping students, families, educational institutions, and organizations that serve them prepare for, deliver, and finance education and helping to manage the administrative burden of doing so.
Our Values: What We Believe In and How We Behave
Our core values have been and will continue to be:
- Customers are #1
- Create an environment in which associates can do what they do best
- Build a diversified education services company
- Maintain open, honest communication
- Give back to our communities
Vision: What We Want to Become
We want to be a leading diversified processing services company through our core service offerings including:
- Education loan financing and asset management
- Education loan servicing
- Payment, transaction, and operational processing
- Education planning and enrollment services
We strive to provide consistent, clear support for all of our customers. We focus strongly on our associates and community service, believing that, to be successful, it is essential to balance the needs of our four key stakeholders: customers, associates, shareholders, and the community.