Why We Do What We Do: A Message from Mike Dunlap, Chairman of the Board
Personally I find that if I strive every day to fulfill a larger purpose—whether it is helping my kids, assisting associates and customers to reach their goals, or working toward serving a higher purpose—I find the most satisfaction. Our overall mission, to make educational dreams possible, falls into this category for me.
By helping people accomplish their educational goals instead of focusing on ourselves, we collectively have a huge impact on the quality of their lives, making the world a place where fulfilling dreams is possible. As we help families set up payment plans to better afford an education, support families' efforts to successfully plan for college, explain options to make it easier to pay back student loans, and simply answer questions, every interaction we have with customers impacts their educational experience, and I am proud to be a part of it.
I want to publicly thank all our associates for their hard work and dedication to our customers. It is making the world a much better place.
Who We Are and What We Do
With a #1 core value of focusing on the customer, we provide innovative educational services in loan servicing, payment processing, education planning, and asset management. These products and services help students and families plan, prepare, and pay for their education while making the administrative and financial processes more efficient for schools and financial organizations.
Headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska, with other offices around the United States and Canada, we employ more than 2,250 associates who serve customers throughout the education life cycle.
At Nelnet, we’re more than just a student loan servicer. We have products and subsidiaries that work with customers to help them achieve their educational dreams through every part of their education lifecycle- from pre-K through college. Learn a little more about how Nelnet works hard to be the best for our customers every day.
Specifically, we operate as four distinct business segments, with additional affiliated companies:
- Provides education planning and enrollment-related services that give parents, students, and schools access to online educational resources and higher education planning tools. For example, students can search for colleges and graduate schools, learn about admissions, find scholarships, prepare for tests, and more. In addition, NES helps colleges and universities recruit prospective students with interactive marketing strategies and software, enabling them to reach their enrollment goals.
- Includes the brands Peterson's Interactive, Peterson's Publishing, EssayEdge, and Government Services
- Manages more than $24 billion of student loans that the company believes will generate significant future cash flow
- ResumeEdge: ResumeEdge guides you on your path to career success with professional resume writing and job interview coaching services, tools, and resources.
- Total Well-Being: Total Well-Being is the only provider that offers a holistic approach to wellness—providing services that motivate your employees to achieve their physical, financial, personal, and professional wellness goals.
- 5280 Dynamic Solutions: 5280 Dynamic Solutions provides business automation solutions built on the SharePoint platform.
- Nelnet also invests in other companies. View a complete list here.
Who We Serve
Each of our business segments serves different customers, from students and parents to K-12 schools or colleges, to lenders and government.
We currently assist more than 5 million borrowers with their student loans, administer tuition payment plans for approximately 5,500 K-12 schools and colleges and universities, and process 6 million student inquiries about colleges annually.
But, no matter which kind of customer you are, you can know one thing is for sure—you are our #1 priority.
Mission and Core Values
Our Mission: Why We Exist
Build a more educated and fiscally responsible world.
Our Values: What We Believe In and How We Behave
- Provide superior customer experiences
- Create an awesome work environment
- Pursue opportunities for diversification and growth
- Communicate openly and honestly
- Give back to the communities in which we live and work
Vision: What We Want to Become
To be a premier education, finance, software, and services provider.